We spoke to Liverpudlian based band DECAY. The quintet are comprised of;
- Daniel Reposar – Vocals
- Connor Baugh – Lead Guitar
- Nathan Peloe – Rhythm Guitar
- Matthew Pickford – Bass
- Toby Hacking – Drums
1. Who are your top 3 influences?
- Touché Amore
2. How did you get your band name?
Unfortunately there isn’t a cool story here we just threw some names around until they stuck haha!
3. How did you all meet?
A mixture of high school, skateboarding and friends of friends.
4. What is your song writing process?
Connor starts by demoing any ideas we have onto his mac and we all pitch in and add our own ideas, then we often fit any lyrics we’ve written previously into the song and we work on melodies and harmonies.
5. What are your plans for a year from now?
Ideally we want to be constantly touring and working on our debut full length album!
6. First gig experience?
Our first gig as Decay was supporting Puppy and Grove Street Families. Kids were singing the lyrics to songs that haven’t even been released yet it was mad, some one had definitely leaked the mp3s hahaha!
7. Biggest challenge so far?
Definitely performing and recording the harmonies to “Lullaby” especially the giant crescendo ending!
8. Favourite thing about performing?
Seeing everyone express themselves whilst we play. Whether that’s stage diving, singing along or bobbing their heads it’s always crazy to think people give up 30 minutes of their day to watch us play.
9. Favourite song to play live?
Sentiment mainly for the two step beats in it and watching kids go wild when we open the set with it!
10. What inspired your recent songs?
Modern Conversation was inspired by: Grief, loss and alcoholism.
11. What do you all do when you’re not musically involved?
- Connor (lead guitar) records and produces bands from his home studio.
- Nathan (Rhythm) works full time as an admin for a huge shipping company.
- Matty (Bass) Studies a BA in script writing and also shoots short films and music videos with his company YCM Studios.
- Toby (Drums) Studies music tech in Leeds and can also be found at every local hardcore show busting a fat two step.
- Danny (vocals) is a junior graphic designer and runs a small clothing company in his spare time.
3 of us also perform in a local Liverpool 90’s hardcore inspired band called “Step Beyond” when we’re not writing or performing in Decay.
12. In your opinion, what’s your best song?
‘Lullaby’ without a doubt, we spent a lot of time working on the harmonies and melodies and it really shows in the production. It was always a struggle for us writing slow songs in the past so this for us was a massive step up in our song writing.
13. Who has the worst dress sense?
Nathan, double denim. Enough said.
14. Funniest show story?
Got to be when we played a headliner in Sheffield and we caught Matty bumming cigarettes off of fans shortly after our set.
15. Pizza! What do you all have?
Anything at all. We’re all fat pigs and will literally eat anything (except Matty he has a fear of all white-ish foods and sauces).
16. Who’s the most annoying member?
Matty, he’s always either rolling a cig or smoking one and tends to get drunk very quickly after shows, to the point where he’s vomiting out of the car window on to the motor way.
17. Who has the worst tattoo and what is it?
Danny, he has a sad face stick and poked onto his leg that he did him self when he was 15.
18. Fast forward and you’re millionaires. What do you do with the money?
Buy our own private island and spend the rest of our days there eating crap food and playing video games until we die from diabetes.