Today I had the privilege of speaking to one of the fastest rising talents from the UK! Led By Lanterns are from Birmingham and consist of;
- Shaun Hill – Vocals
- Chris Lanterns – Guitar & Vocals
- James Harris – Bass & Vocals
(All questions answered by Shaun Hill)
1. Hey guys, thanks for chatting with us today, lets kick straight off and ask, what can we expect from Led By Lanterns in 2020?
Thanks for having us! It’s been a hectic year so it’s been nice to have a bit of time to write music. So you can expect new music, followed by more shows/more energy.
2. We know that you are currently writing songs, what is inspiring these tracks lyrically?
Good one! Over the last 12 months we’ve had really high highs and really low lows and we are concentrating on those extreme emotions (e.g. the one we’re currently working on is about people using you for their own self gain). But on a more positive note we are also working on a song about how incredible our shows have been.
3. How will the new songs compare to your 2018 album ‘Ashes’?
Well, musically we are entering a much heavier genre but not so heavy that fans of Ashes will feel betrayed.
4. You recently finished tour with WSTR, how was this run for you?
The WSTR tour was definitely one of the best things we’ve ever done as a band. WSTR’s fans are extremely accepting and go mental. Every single person on the tour was a friend prior to the run so we knew it was going to be amazing, but it really did exceed our expectations. Can’t wait to do it again!
5. Tour can be frustrating and difficult, what did you do to pass the time and break the monotonous cycle?
A lot of the places we played we had never visited before so weather permitting we checked out the local area or would see who could land the best bottle flip. It was also a really good chance to write some new music.
6. We also want to know, why did you decide to do a cover of Dua Lipa’s ‘New Rules’?
The reason for that one was we were doing a European tour for the first time opening for an amazing band called Normandie. We knew nobody would know us and that was quite simply the most popular song at the time. We didn’t realise how well it would be received and we really loved playing it. Also it’s an absolute tune!
7. Can you share with us your funniest story of the December tour?
This would have to be the very last date of the tour in Nottingham. Some of us, the opening band (The UMA) and the crew had to sing a song or two for WSTR as Sammy was really ill. We were worried it was going to be a disaster but there was no way in hell we were going to cancel. It turned out to be amazing, with even our merch guy Simon getting up to sing. This is the show that we saw just how incredible WSTR fans really are.
8. Although you have had quite a bit of experience performing shows, do any of you still get stage fright?
You’re asking someone with severe anxiety… Next. Haha but yes in all honesty I don’t think I’ll ever be free of nerves before a show but they always ease off two or three songs in though. As more people learn and sing our lyrics it becomes increasingly easier to manage.
9. What was it like working and recording the video with Tobi Duncan on ‘Alive’?
Tobi was on tour at the time and agreed to do the video recording with the very talented videographer Miguel from Yeahfilms. We’ve always wanted to do a music video in the place that we live in. Oh by the way we live in a disused college, so we had access to squash courts and car parks. The music video was shot by a guy called Oli Duncanson, it was the first time we’d ever worked with him but he quickly became one of the team.
10. What’s been the most surreal moment of your musical careers so far?
We’d have to say the day after releasing Alive. We were so apprehensive about the new sound, we had no idea how many people would actually dig it. We received so many messages and calls from people saying they loved it. Oh my God, what a feeling.
11. My favourite track of yours is ‘Our Kingdom’. But what is yours?
Well we are going to be greedy and have two. We enjoy practicing Disconnected but there is no better song to play on stage than Alive.
12. Who’s the most annoying member?
I’m going to have to vote for myself here. I can get stressed easy but luckily I have an amazing team around me and couldn’t do it without them.
13. Pizza! What toppings do you all have?
Rob: Also pepperoni.
Chris: Anything spicy and veggie.
Snake: Anything vegan.
14. Who has the worst dress sense?
That’s hard to answer because we don’t wear anything unless everyone approves. But Chris has definitely tried some questionable t-shirts which are now, luckily, in the bin.
15. Leave a message for the fans!
Oh boy, what a year! Thank you for being so patient for us to get back on our feet. Thank you for going crazy at all the shows especially those that travel overseas (you know who you are)! Can’t wait to make so many memories with you all! Love you guys!
Listen on Spotify.